Abdullah Mason Faces Late Replacement Carlos Ornelas In 10-Round Bout, Aiming For Contender Status Amid Fan Frustration Over Matchup Quality


Lightweight contender Abdullah Mason (17-0, 15 KOs) is fighting replacement opponent Carlos “Chinito” Ornelas (28-4, 15 KOs) in a 10-rounder this Saturday, April 5th with the event start time at 5:30 p.m. ET/2:30 p.m. PT, live on ESPN+ from the Pearl Concert Theater at Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas. 

Mason, 20, originally was scheduled to fight the experienced lightweight contender Giovanni Cabrera, but he pulled out due to an injury problem. Top Rank picked the southpaw super featherweight Ornelas, 30, as the replacement opponent. It’s not ideal for Mason because Ornelas isn’t as well-known as Cabrera, but he’s still a good option.

10-Round Test

Ornelas went the 10-round distance with Rafael Espinoza in 2021 before he later captured the WBO 126-lb belt.

Boxing fans on social media aren’t pleased to see Abdullah fighting another guy that seemingly has no shot at winning or even being competitive with him. They want to see Mason take on someone like Andy Cruz, who called him out this week for a fight, or Raymond Muratalla.

There’s no way that Top Rank would let Mason anywhere near Cruz or Muratalla yet because it’s still too early. Abdullah’s shaky performance against Yohan Vasquez on November 8th last year showed that Top Rank needs to move him slowly. Vasquez dropped Mason twice in the first round.

“This step-up fight, too. He knows how to move his head and feet. He can punch. We’ll be prepared for what he has coming,” said Abdullah Mason about his fight against replacement opponent Ornelas.

For Ornelas to have gone the distance with Espinoza, it means he can take a good shot. If he can hang in there long enough to test Mason’s fragile chin, he might be able to finish what Yohan Vasquez started last November.

Moving Forward

“This is my first official 10-rounder. Now, you can call me a contender when I step in there on April 5th,” said Mason to the Akin Reyes and Barak Bess Youtube channel. “I’m being moved pretty good [by Top Rank]. Giovanni Cabrera was a good step-up fight, but he fell back. After this, I’m probably going to have a co-main or something like that, like a former champion.

“We’re right there. I’m ranked #7 WBC and #10 WBA. So, it’s only a matter of time in the next two or three fights before I step up in the rankings. Everything else comes with it,” said Mason.

YouTube videoYouTube video

Last Updated on 04/03/2025





Source link